SKI BOAT DRIVER LEVEL 2
The starting point on the ski boat driver pathway - Ski Boat Driver Level 2 is for anyone who wishes to drive unassisted for water skiing and / or other associated disciplines. It is the benchmark at UK clubs and a pre-requisite to a becoming a licensed waterski and wakeboard coach. Driving at BWSW affiliated centres requires SBD2 as proof of boat driving ability. SBD2 holders are issued with an International Certificate of Competence (ICC), which is the international counterpart for driving in European coastal waters.
SDB2 holders receive a discount on Approved Boat insurance Scheme operated by GJW Direct.
Ski Boat Driver Level 2 is a day long programme consisting of a theory assessment of boat driving knowledge and a practical assessment of boat handing skills. Prior to theory assessment, candidates attend a 2-3 hour tutoring session to develop understanding of the previously studied subject matter (candidates need to read, and be familiar with, the SBD2 manual and Peter White’s ‘Powerboating’ book.
Candidates then complete a 30 minute multiple choice exam and a 20 minute multiple choice Inland Waters exam leading to the International Certificate of Competence (ICC). The practical assessment consists of a 15 minute familiarisation session (to familiarise with the boat, the site and the assessment procedure) followed by a 10 minute slow manoeuvring skills assessment, and a 15 minute water ski/wakeboard driving assessment. For the course manual please visit BWSW Driving Page.
All candidates must:
• Be a current member of British Water Ski and Wakeboard aged 16 years or over
• Have some experience of driving water skiers (under supervision).
• Read, and be familiar with, the SBD2 Manual & Peter White’s ‘Power boating’ Book
BWSW Level 1,2&3 Waterski & Wakeboard
UKCC Coaching Qualification
For volunteers that coach at their club and anyone who will be working as a paid coach - the qualification is the minimum standard for coaching unaccompanied within the sport. On qualification, candidates will be certified to coach unassisted anywhere in the UK and abroad.
The 5 day course covers safety practices, delivery skills, customer service, risk assessment, advanced boat driving etc. You will ski/wakeboard, drive and coach for each other on the course up to the standard of doing such tricks as Ollie, Backside 180's, Wake Jumps, surface 360's, and crossing the wakes and performing deep water starts on 1-ski.
All candidates must have the following:
• BWSW membership and BWSW Level 1 (both courses can be completed together over a 7 days.
• BWSW Ski Boat Driver Level 2 (SBD2) AND at least 10 hours experience driving for water skiers/wakeboarders.
• Be aged 16 years or over (note, to be a licensed coach you must be 17).
• Be able to get up on 1-ski and cross the wakes and be able to perform a 180, Wake Jump and an Ollie on a Wakeboard
(note, those who are unable to perform these will need to demonstrate experience in delivering these skills).