Health Benefits of Participating in Watersports through Winter
With Autumn conditions in full swing, the lake can offer some fantastic scenery along with great health benefits… Believe it or not there are massive benefits to continuing watersports through the winter months, as long as they are done in a safe way!
Now is a great time to get prepared and acclimatised to the winter conditions. With outdoor activities being top of the list over the past few years, the lake is the place to improve fitness along with your mental health. Cold Water has huge benefits ranging from boasting your immune system and helping reduce stress. The release of endorphins can give you that natural high, not only helping you mentally but physically as well. The effects of cold water on the body have been studied widely, and range from increased energy, better circulation and decreasing stress which helps your mental health. The main benefit our customers find is the great sense of community and finding that reason to get out the house, even on those dull and cold days.
For those looking to continue participating in Open Water Swimming, Paddle Boarding & Waterskiing during winter we have some great coaches on hand to help;
- Chris will be in the boat Wednesdays & Weekends to help maintain your Skiing & Riding, as well as on land Strength and Conditioning advice.
- Egham SUP Club meet every Sunday morning 0800-100, offering both social paddling or time trails to help keep things more interesting. The club is free to join, and has a great social atmosphere.
If thats not enough we have 3 Cold Water Essentials Courses run by Jude & Paul to help anyone looking to swim through the winter.
Cost: £40 including 3 swim entries.
Dates: 29th Oct/5th Nov/26th Nov
Jude Palmer (Run Surrey Hills) and Paul Mackenzie (Adventure Swims) have years of experience swimming in the sea, rivers and lakes around the world and taking part in swimming, triathlon and swim/run events not to mention simply enjoying bobbing around in water. Both are experienced and qualified Cold Water Swim Coaches and Lifeguards.
Please get in touch if you have any questions and see full Course details below....
Longside Cold Water Essentials
Gain confidence and learn top tips to safely dip or swim your way through winter.
What is included:
1. One hour’s coached session and swim/dip with experienced coaches Jude Palmer and Paul Mackenzie.
2. Learn about what happens to the body in cold water, how to stay safe and why cold water is so good for your mental health.
3. Learn how long is long enough and what to do if you or fellow swimmers get too cold.
4. Small, personal groups (1:6 ratio) with lots of time to ask questions, try out gear.
Jude and Paul will join you in the water and give tips and confidence as needed. Added bonus of Homemade cake – well of course! Along with 3 additional swims at Longside Lake
Jude Palmer (Run Surrey Hills) and Paul Mackenzie (Adventure Swims) have years of experience swimming in the sea, rivers and lakes around the world and taking part in swimming, triathlon and swim/run events not to mention simply enjoying bobbing around in water. Both are experienced and qualified Cold Water Swim Coaches and Lifeguards. Please get in touch if you have any questions.